Sunday, June 7, 2009

Back to KTM

After the trips to Pokhara and Chitwan, I am now back to Kathmandu. Now it's time to get some work done!
I wish I could visit more libraries, but I won't have time and I need to start working on my project. I am happy that I accomplished my goal of visiting at least 3 libraries. In fact, I went to 4 established libraries and to 1 in the building process. These first two weeks exceeded my expectations in every level!
Being back in Kathmandu also gives me the chance to resume my exploration of this fascinating city.
Starting with the bars... There is so much going on every night in Thamel, the main tourist area in Kathmandu, that I feel I could spend the rest of the year here and I would still have new places to discover.
Both Wednesday and Friday, I checked some of the bars featuring live bands.
Wednesday, Bob and I went to two different bars. First to a rooftop bar, which besides the rock band also offers a cigarette menu, and lots of smoke...
It gives a whole new meaning to the old Rush song, A Passage to Bangkok:

"Pulling into Kathmandu

Smoke rings fill the air

Perfumed by a Nepal night"

After a couple of Gorkha beers, we headed to a garden style bar, less smoke and still a nice band.The most popular style around seems to be rock but the repertoire ranges from James Brown to Jon Bon Jovi, from Collective Soul to Pink Floyd and everything in between. Friday, after eating a nice dinner at OR2K, Julie and I went to see a jazz band in a really cool place called Comfort Zone. Both places were very interesting in their own way, both good examples of the peace and quiet that you can find a staircase away from the busy and bustling streets of Thamel.

Over the weekend, I will continue my sightseeing, Bodhnath Stupa and Pashupatinath Temple are next on my list...

1 comment:

  1. I was very happy to see u r twitter and I have reached to u blog from there. I was much & more impressed with your work & blog. keep it up.

    have a pleasent stay in nepal sorry for the troubles that u r facing in nepal, bandhas , strikes & all.

    have a nice time ,

    pracas upreti
    pracasbrt@gmail.com
    www.pracas.com.np

    ReplyDelete