Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Just another day in Kathmandu...

Last Saturday I decided to continue my exploration of Kathmandu and its surroundings.
I left home around 11am and came back, exhausted, around 7pm. I spent most of the day walking and enjoying the beauty and magic as well as reflecting on the poverty and contrasts present at every corner.
I visited Boudhnath, one of the most important centers of Tibetan Budhism in Nepal and the world. The peace that emanates there is indescribable. The sound of the "om mani padme hum" mantra, that comes from the CD and souvenir shops around the stupa, complement the experience.
After walking around the stupa, turning the prayer wheels and observing all the tourists, monks and pilgrims, I decided to go to Pashupatinath, one of the most important Shiva temples in the world and the most important in Nepal. Pashupatinath is also very impressive, in its own distinct way. It is located along the Bagmati river, which is as important to nepali hindus as the Ganges is for the Indians. Along the river and in front of the temple complex, I could see the bodies of the deceased Hindus being cremated. Saturday is the weekly holiday in Nepal, so the temple area was very busy with people that came to cremate their dead, vendors and tourists like me.
On the way back, from Pashupatinath to Baluwatar, I observed the beautiful nepalese people and countless temples (that are everywhere in Kathmandu).


1 comment:

  1. Oi Vivi, que legal essa experiência e oportunidade que vc está tendo ai no Nepal. Aproveite bastante! Sucessos sempre. Bjos, Tati.

    ReplyDelete