Sunday, July 19, 2009

Another great week followed by great weekend...

I had another great week working with READ Nepal. My project is going well and I am learning a lot with READ staff and volunteers. During the week I have been so busy that I have no time or energy at the end of the day to enjoy KTM. Lots of work and, the best, having fun with it! No doubt this has been a very special and rewarding experience. And time is going by really fast... specially now that my return is getting close...

READ Nepal Team

Over the weekend, I went to Basantapur with Chetan and Julie. Basantapur is the neighborhood where Julie lives, just south from Durbar Square. We first visited Kathe Simbu, one of my favorite stupas in Kathmandu, a relatively peaceful place between Thamel and Indra Chowk.

Kathe Simbu

From there we went to see the night market in Durbar Square and to a rooftop bar to see the sunset while drinking an Everest beer. After the beer and nice conversation, we met Julie's nepalese family and had dinner in a Newari restaurant close by. It was a great evening, not only because of the many KTM's attractions, but specially because I was in really great company!

Hanuman Dhoka and Basantapur Square

Julie and Chetan

Durbar Square and Basantapur Square, Kathmandu

Julie and I

Sunday, I went shopping, after all it is almost time to go home and it is now or never... so, following Sanjana's suggestion I went to the Bead Bazaar at Indra Chowk to buy bead necklaces. It is overwhelming, so many choices, all so beautiful, I was just like a kid in a candy store! After the necklaces, some pashminas and cute stuff for Raquel and my niece, Luiza.

(me fez lembrar os velhos tempos, indo na Feira da Av. Afonso Pena aos domingos para comprar bugingangas... bons tempos...)

Bead Bazaar, Indra Chowk

The streets were busy, as usual, and from time to time I had to stop and take pictures, hoping that they will help me never forget this amazing summer...

Shiva Temple, Indra Chowk

Seto Machhendranath Temple


Colorful and busy Indra Chowk


Asan Tole


From Asan Tole to Indra Chowk

Asan Tole

1 comment:

  1. Great to read about Interesting places in Kathmandu in you blog. Enjoyed pictures of Indrachowk, Ason etc.

    We have a website about interesting places in Kathmandu and Nepal as well. Fell free to comment or write about it!

    ReplyDelete