Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Changing the name

Following a lot of curiosity and interesting discussions triggered by a recent salutation I used on one of my emails to my family, I decided to change the name of my blog for the first time... ( I am wondering if this will be the last...)
Namaste is a very beautiful word and the common salutation used in Nepal ( and south Asia in general). Although its origin and meaning have religious significance, coming from Hindu and Buddhist traditions, it is widely used with a more secular undertone.
From http://www.exoticindiaart.com/article/namaste/ I found this definition:

Namaste is a composite of the two Sanskrit words, nama, and te. Te means you,
and nama has the following connotations:
To bend
To bow
To sink
To incline
To stoop

...

Hence by performing namaste before an individual we recognize the divine
spark in him. Further by facilitating our partaking of these divine qualities,
namaste makes us aware of these very characteristics residing within our own
selves. Simply put, namaste intimates the following:
"The God in me greets the God in you

The Spirit in me meets the same Spirit in you"

In other words, it recognizes the equality of all, and pays honor to the
sacredness of all.

This is a great theme and inspiration for my experience in Nepal, it appropriately describes the attitude that we all should have towards life and all people we meet along the way. It is a powerful reminder of all that unites us and all the possibilities present in each encounter in our lives.

I truly hope to incorporate these values and attitude not only in the next three months but in everything I do.

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment